Friday, January 11, 2013

Steak Fajita Sandwiches

 

Steak Fajita Sandwiches

 
 
Sunday is right around the corner and you know what that means....FOOTBALL!! Now I like a good football game as much as the next girl, but what I don't like is how easy it is to pack on the pounds with all the appetizers, pizza and subs! This Sunday I definitely know what I'll be making and I know it will be a hit with everyone! Who doesn't like steak afterall!! This warm, tasty comfort food will hit the spot and I'll have to remind myself I'm not even cheating. This fajita sandwichs packs 29 grams of protein and is only 255 calories!!!
 
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1/2 pita pocket with 1/4 meat filling
4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium red onion, sliced into strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 pound beef sirloin tip steak, cut into thin strips (grass-fed beef recommended)
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 whole-wheat pita pockets, cut in half
4 leaves romaine lettuce, torn
1/4 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt

In a large skillet, on medium-low heat, sauté mushrooms in olive oil about 6 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper, and continue sautéing until onion and pepper are tender, about 4 minutes. Add in sirloin strips, and cook on medium heat for 5–10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir well, cover, and simmer 5 more minutes. Drain mixture.

Stuff pita halves with meat mixture and romaine lettuce, and top with a dollop of yogurt.
Nutritional Data
Calories: 255
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 70mg
Sodium: 235mg
Carbohydrates: 21g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 29g
 
 
Recipe courtesy of Skinny Ms Superfoods cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.